Can someone please tell me how to pronounce Tess of the d’Urbervilles? I attempted to make a reference to it this morning, then quickly realized I’d never had to say the title out loud before, and it came out sounding like this:
A little help?
- bluishorange said: Pretty sure nhersey has it. Derbervilles all the way.
- sarahb likes this
- meganmasek likes this
- artyucko likes this
- hatethefuture likes this
- justapoorboy likes this
- meghanagain likes this
- nhersey answered: Since it’s Hardy and Brits don’t go for that proper pronunciation crap, it sounds just like it looks: “Derbervils.”
- unbornwhiskey answered: oh man matt’s parents and my dad have the same sense of humor
- zanmcquade likes this
- zanmcquade answered: I’ve always said “Doobervills.” But that’s because the copy had in high school was a misprint and was missing an “r” on the cover
- rendit answered: My parents used to — ironically — say “horse doovers” instead of h’orderves and I thought that was correct until I was like 12 #badparenting
- awpoops answered: That’s exactly how it’s pronounced. Anyone who tells you differently is lying.
- awpeeps posted this